Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Then they came for me

First they came for the Somalis, the Rwandans, Malawians, the DRCs, the Nigerians and the Zimbabweans; and I didn’t speak up because I was not an African.

Then they came for the Pakistanis, the Koreans, the Chinese; and I didn't speak up because I was not an Asian.

Then they came for the Arabs and the Jews; and I didn’t speak up for I was neither Arab nor Jew.

They came for the people of other religions; and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a person of another religion.

Then they came for the shopkeepers and the traders; and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a shopkeeper or a trader.

Then they came for the gay couple; and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a gay couple.

They came for the albinos; and I didn't speak up because I wasn't an albino.

Then they came for the Aids orphans and the widows; and I didn't speak up because I wasn't weak and marginalised.

Then they came for me - because I was the last stranger in their midst; and there was no one left to speak up.

Inspired by German Theologian Martin Niemoller

No comments: